Good Friday: Stand-to: Good Friday Morning
Stand-to: Good Friday Morning
I’D been on duty from two till four.
I went and stared at the dug-out door.
Down in the frowst I heard them snore.
‘Stand to!’ Somebody grunted and swore.
Dawn was misty; the skies were still;
Larks were singing, discordant, shrill;
They seemed happy; but I felt ill.
Deep in water I splashed my way
Up the trench to our bogged front line.
Rain had fallen the whole damned night.
O Jesus, send me a wound to-day,
And I’ll believe in Your bread and wine,
And get my bloody old sins washed white!
by Siegfried Sassoon (1886–1967)
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Prayers For Our Nation
- Orthodox Announce Ecumenical Council
- Did Jesus mean baptism when he said “born by water and the Spirit?”
- So, how go those Lenten disciplines?
- UPDATED: Has Presiding Bishop Invitation to Preach at Nashotah Been Withdrawn?
- BREAKING - SCOTUS Denies Falls Church Petition
- Former Mars Hill Elder challenges leadership culture under Driscoll
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.