Good Friday: Stand-to: Good Friday Morning
Stand-to: Good Friday Morning
I’D been on duty from two till four.
I went and stared at the dug-out door.
Down in the frowst I heard them snore.
‘Stand to!’ Somebody grunted and swore.
Dawn was misty; the skies were still;
Larks were singing, discordant, shrill;
They seemed happy; but I felt ill.
Deep in water I splashed my way
Up the trench to our bogged front line.
Rain had fallen the whole damned night.
O Jesus, send me a wound to-day,
And I’ll believe in Your bread and wine,
And get my bloody old sins washed white!
by Siegfried Sassoon (1886–1967)
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Prayers For Our Nation
- Nigeria rescues 178 from Boko Haram
- 2 New Mexico churches bombed on Lord’s Day (UPDATED)
- Center for Medical Progress Statement on Suppression of Abortion Videos
- Abortionists Find Judge to Ignore First Amendment (UPDATED)
- Friday Refresher Courtesy of the U.S. Marines
- Denmark, Standing for What’s Truly Important
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.