Good Friday: Stand-to: Good Friday Morning
Stand-to: Good Friday Morning
I’D been on duty from two till four.
I went and stared at the dug-out door.
Down in the frowst I heard them snore.
‘Stand to!’ Somebody grunted and swore.
Dawn was misty; the skies were still;
Larks were singing, discordant, shrill;
They seemed happy; but I felt ill.
Deep in water I splashed my way
Up the trench to our bogged front line.
Rain had fallen the whole damned night.
O Jesus, send me a wound to-day,
And I’ll believe in Your bread and wine,
And get my bloody old sins washed white!
by Siegfried Sassoon (1886–1967)
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Prayers For Our Nation
- CII Recommendations Include Light Beatings for Wives
- ECUSA Loses (Again) in Quincy; San Joaquin Seeks Review [UPDATED]
- Forksake Me Not
- [Oz] Nexus Conference Monday 23 May 2016 Livestream
- You Mean the Dept. of Justice Has to Act Justly??
- U.S. Methodists Preparing for Leap Over the Cliff
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.