Matt Chandler’s Brain Tumor and the Purpose of Suffering
Matt Chandler is in his 30’s. He is married and has three young children. He’s the lead pastor of “The Village” church in North Texas, one of the fastest growing churches in the country. He’s Reformed and Baptist and is, in my opinion, one of the best young preachers of the day. Here’s a short sample from a recent Resurgence conference.
On Thanksgiving Day Matt Chandler suffered a seizure and collapsed. He was diagnosed with a malignant, slow growing, brain tumor (Anaplastic oligodendroglioma). His surgeons removed a good deal of it but they could not remove all of it. The prognosis, should God decide not to intervene, is, apparently, not good. John Piper, Matt Chandler’s mentor and friend, was asked to come speak to Matt’s congregation two Sunday’s ago. The sermon he preached (listen here) is one of the best on the purpose of human suffering I have heard. It is long, 54 minutes, but it is worth it not only to listen but to pull out your bibles and follow him along.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Prayers For Our Nation
- One Black Episcopalian on Ferguson
- The Marriage Pledge and the Libertarian Solution to the Marriage Debate
- Rusty Reno Makes the Case for Clergy Cutting the Government Out of the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
- [Updated] Breaking News: The Marriage Pledge
- Liberal Activists & Social Media “Firestorms”
- Riffing on Failure & Shattered Dreams
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.