++Rowan: High Tide of New Atheism Has Passed
Rarely do I feel a need to defend Rowan Williams, but he’s really getting savaged by the atheists in the comments over at this Guardian article:
“Recent years have seen so many high-profile assaults on the alleged evils of religion that we’ve almost become used to them; we sigh and pass on, wishing that we could have a bit more of a sensible debate and a bit less hysteria. But there are a few signs that the climate is shifting ever so slightly,” he said at Canterbury cathedral.
Some sense from the archbishop? Yessss!!! I am STOKED, because I was thinking how AW DANG:
Contrasting the “hysteria” of “aggressive polemic against religious faith” with an increasing recognition among “serious and liberal-minded commentators”, he said faith was no longer seen as “a brainless and oppressive enemy” but recognised as a potential ally against a greedy and individualistic way of life that feels “increasingly insane”.
Translation: Hey everybody, let’s #Occupy Christianity!
Yes indeed, we sigh and pass on.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- How do you say “Indaba” in Japanese?
- A (Formerly Anglo-)Catholic on the Anglican Flaw
- Grafton Appointment Exposes Massive Differences in the Anglican Church in Australia
- Perth Same-Sex Marriage Vote - Provincial Council Says “No”
- Australia’s First Female Diocesan Bishop - we should ordain homosexuals and the Cross does not save
- U.S. designates more Religion-of-Peaceniks as terror groups
- CofE bishop Alan Wilson takes low road in same sex rite debate
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.