++Rowan: High Tide of New Atheism Has Passed
Rarely do I feel a need to defend Rowan Williams, but he’s really getting savaged by the atheists in the comments over at this Guardian article:
“Recent years have seen so many high-profile assaults on the alleged evils of religion that we’ve almost become used to them; we sigh and pass on, wishing that we could have a bit more of a sensible debate and a bit less hysteria. But there are a few signs that the climate is shifting ever so slightly,” he said at Canterbury cathedral.
Some sense from the archbishop? Yessss!!! I am STOKED, because I was thinking how AW DANG:
Contrasting the “hysteria” of “aggressive polemic against religious faith” with an increasing recognition among “serious and liberal-minded commentators”, he said faith was no longer seen as “a brainless and oppressive enemy” but recognised as a potential ally against a greedy and individualistic way of life that feels “increasingly insane”.
Translation: Hey everybody, let’s #Occupy Christianity!
Yes indeed, we sigh and pass on.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Bishop Ken Short’s Funeral - Livestream
- Sydney Anglican Synod Motion on Anglican Communion
- Is the ACNA Part of the Anglican Communion?
- The Gospel, the Gospels and Rome - Where Do We Draw the Line?
- Diocese of NW Australia Recognises ACNA as “a member church of the Anglican Communion”
- The GAFCON/FCA Tea Party
- The Unraveling of the Anglican Communion
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.