UPDATED: Archbishop of Canterbury Appointment: Can Someone Tell Me About These Six Voting Members?
Keep in mind from whence the 16 voting members of the Crown Nominations Commission will come:
6 members of the Diocese of Canterbury
6 members elected by General Synod [already elected]
2 members of the the House of Bishops - the Archbishop of York, and one other, or two others if the York declines
1 member of the Primates Meeting nominated not by the Primates, but by the ‘Standing Committee of the Anglican Communion
1 voting lay chairman [appointed by the Prime Minister]
Find out more about the process here.
So here are my two questions.
1) What do we know about the six members already elected by the Synod?
From the House of Laity:
Professor Glynn Harrison - Diocese of Bristol
Mrs Mary Johnston - Diocese of London
Mr Aiden Hargreaves-Smith - Diocese of London
From the House of Clergy:
The Very Revd Andrew Nunn - Diocese of Southwark
The Revd Canon Peter Spiers - Diocese of Liverpool
The Revd Canon Glyn Webster - Diocese of York
2) What do we know about the makeup of the “Vacancy in See Committee” of the Diocese of Canterbury, which elects the six representatives of the Diocese of Canterbury?
Update: A commenter, Lars, below fills us in on those who make up the Vacancy in See Committee of the Diocese of Canterbury:
Canterbury’s Vacancy in See Committee
The dean of the diocese’s cathedral
The Very Revd Dr Robert Willis
The Ven Sheila Watson - Archdeacon of Canterbury
The Ven Stephen Taylor - Archdeacon of Maidstone
The diocese’s representative members of the General Synod of the Church of England
The Ven Philip Down, The Revd Canon Clare Edwards, The Revd Canon Mark Roberts
Mr David Kemp, Miss Sally Muggeridge & Mrs Caroline Spencer
Members of the diocesan House of Bishops
Bishop of Dover The Rt Reverend Trevor Willmott (Chair)
Bishop of Ebbsfleet Jonathan Baker (PEV - will not attend?)
Bishop of Richborough Norman Banks (PEV - will not attend?)
The chairman and two other members of the diocesan House of Clergy ?
The chairman and two other members of the diocesan House of Laity ?
Other members approved by the Bishop’s Council ?
So what do we know about these people?
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- A Well-Aimed Blast at the Communion-Wreckers
- Wycliffe Hall Principal Writes “to put the record straight”
- [CofE] Statement from Diocese of Manchester on “Trans Jesus” Play
- [CofE] Controversial Chapel Invitation Brings Tensions to Wycliffe Hall Oxford
- [CofE] Manchester Church Hosts “Trans Jesus” Play, Bishop is Silent
- Who Dares Call It by Name?
- Iron Sharpens Iron interview on Anglicanism past, present and future
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.