Catholic Bishops Take on Obama
The HHS mandate requires employers to provide insurance coverage for contraception and sterilization services. It is, according to the bishops, an “unjust law.” They write: “It cannot be obeyed and therefore one does not seek relief from it, but rather its repeal.”
The statement is a rebuke of President Obama and the so-called accommodation his administration proposed in February. It also raises the stakes between the president and the leaders of America’s Catholic Church.
The bishops call on Catholics in America, “in solidarity with our fellow citizens,” not to obey the law. They implicitly compare the HHS regulation to a segregation-era statute, and even cite Martin Luther King Jr.’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail.” In a not-so-subtle manner, the bishops tell the Obama administration that they are willing to go to prison rather than comply with the mandate’s provisions.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- The Empire of Death Strikes Back
- How Much is Planned Parenthood Costing You?
- Justice to Investigate CMP
- Planned Parenthood: More to Come
- Congress Critters: DoJ Should Investigate…
- 41 Companies that Donate to Planned Parenthood UPDATED
- Planned Parenthood, Pay Day Lenders, and How I’m Praying These Days
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.