PCUSA to Vote on Changing Marriage Definition
The Presbyterian Church (USA) General Assembly will soon consider the following amendments to its Book of Order, passed last night by the Committee on Civil Union and Marriage Issues, which will change the definition of marriage:
1. Amend W-4.9001 as follows: [Text to be deleted is shown with a strike-through; text to be added or inserted is shown as italic.]
“Marriage is a gift God has given to all humankind for the well-being of the entire human family. Marriage is a
civil contractcovenant between a woman and a mantwo people, and according to the laws of the state also constitutes a civil contract. For Christians marriage is a covenant through which a man and a womantwo people are called to live out together before God their lives of discipleship. In a service of Christian marriage, two people make a lifelong commitment is made by a woman and a man to each other, publicly witnessed and acknowledged by the community of faith.”
2. Amend W-4.9002 as follows: [Text to be deleted is shown with a strike-through; text to be added or inserted is shown as italic.]
“a. In preparation for the marriage service, the teaching elder shall provide for a discussion with the
man and the womantwo people to be married concerning” [The remainder of this section remains the same.]
3. Amend W-4.9004 as follows: [Text to be deleted is shown with a strike-through; text to be added or inserted is shown as italic.]
“The service begins with scriptural sentences and a brief statement of purpose. The
man and the womantwo people to be married shall declare their intention to enter into Christian marriage and shall exchange vows of love and faithfulness. The service includes appropriate passages of Scripture, which may be interpreted in various forms of proclamation. Prayers shall be offered for the couple, for the communities which support them in this new dimension of discipleship, and for all who seek to live in faithfulness. In the name of the triune God the teaching elder shall declare publicly that the woman and the manthey are now joined in marriage.” [The remainder of this paragraph remains the same.]
4. Amend W-4.9006 as follows: [Text to be deleted is shown with a strike-through; text to be added or inserted is shown as italic.]
“A service of worship recognizing a civil marriage and confirming it in the community of faith may be appropriate when requested by the couple. The service will be similar to the marriage service except that the opening statement, the declaration of intention, the exchange of vows by the
husband and wifetwo people,and the public declaration by the teaching elder† reflect the fact that the woman and manthey are already married to one another according to the laws of the state.”
Translation: The PCUSA will, if this amendment is passed by the General Assembly and approved by the presbyteries, will no longer hold to a Christian definition of marriage, and will instead adopt that of a minority of state governments. Way to speak truth to power, folks.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Dr. Al Mohler: Can Evangelical Chaplains Serve God and Country?—The Crisis Arrives
- Gary Burge Replies: Neither He Nor Wheaton Responsible for Anti-Semitic Poster
- A Prayer for Niceness In Egypt
- Court Socks LA Presbytery with $400K in Sanctions
- What Does PCUSA Want of Israel? Surrender
- Indoctrination Through Hymnody in the Pluralistic Church
- PCUSA Apes Mafia
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.