Rennis Ponniah installed as Bishop of Singapore
from the Straits Times
In a ceremony steeped in tradition, the Anglican Church here received a new head when the Right Reverend Rennis Ponniah was installed as its new bishop on Saturday night.
The almost three-hour-long service at St Andrew’s Cathedral was attended by more than 2,500 people, including dignitaries, politicians, leaders of other Christian denominations and Anglican clergy from all over the world.
President Tony Tan Keng Yam and his wife Mary, both Anglicans, were present, as were MPs Lawrence Wong and Christopher De Souza, and former politicians Seet Ai Mee and Lim Hwee Hua.
Bishop Ponniah, who is married with four children, will be the ninth Bishop of Singapore.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- [CofE] Statement from Diocese of Manchester on “Trans Jesus” Play
- [CofE] Controversial Chapel Invitation Brings Tensions to Wycliffe Hall Oxford
- [CofE] Manchester Church Hosts “Trans Jesus” Play, Bishop is Silent
- This is the Primates 2016 Review You Are Looking For
- Who Dares Call It by Name?
- Iron Sharpens Iron interview on Anglicanism past, present and future
- On the Death of the Anglican Communion
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.