On Newtown and Gun Control: The Difficult Response
From NRO, where there is more:
Arguments over the merits of gun control are made all the more difficult to navigate by the Left’s stubborn denial that we are already having a debate on the issue. Gun control propositions are by no means new, and nor is there a lack of a “national conversation on the subject.” Instead, the national conversation is ongoing, and the Left is losing it badly. Gun control advocates may talk of national soul searching and dialogue, but in truth that already exists; what they mean is that they’d like to win for a change.
The Gopniks of the world don’t tend to win, however, because their arguments are weak and because their thinking is shallow. It is quite literally unfathomable to almost every human being that a man could shoot his mother dead. It is perhaps doubly unfathomable that someone could shoot a group of little children. To have done both on the same day is nothing short of astonishing. Herein lies the essential problem for those who would radically change our constitutional order: Americans know that they could never do such things whether they had no guns or two hundred guns at their disposal. The mind of a man so ill or depraved that he is capable of an atrocity such as we saw at Newtown is not one that can be constrained by law. Nobody refrains from shooting up a school because it is illegal.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- The Episcopal Church: Undermining the USA from Within (and Betraying Christians)
- Athanasius and Goebbels - random thoughts on “narratives”
- Your tax dollars at work in Baltamerica
- History of Baltimore “Rough Rides” vs. Narrative Reporting
- But what if Julia is in #Baltimore? UPDATED
- When Is a Church Not a Church? When It’s a Debt Collector
- Statism is idolatry for both right and left
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.