Short thought on 25 years as a priest
Today is my 25th anniversary as a priest.
God appointed a stomach virus to make me stay home, shut up, pray and reflect more on that than I might have out being busy with the day. I mean that. I praised Him for the virus today.
Reading the Daily Office resulted in this thought, which I posted on Facebook:
When Jesus was alone, those who were around him along with the twelve asked him about the parables. And he said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside, everything comes in parables; in order that ‘they may indeed look, but not perceive, and may indeed listen, but not understand; so that they may not turn again and be forgiven.”’ (Mark 4:10-12)
Wow, read this at evening, on my 25th anniversary of ordination. You know, part of looking back is wondering how I might have been a better witness, and confessing failure. But there’s great comfort in this passage. Plenty of folks walked away not because I wasn’t clear, sincere or somehow “good” enough, but because for whatever reason they weren’t cut out to follow Jesus. We (his disciples) won’t convince everybody - in fact the parable that precedes this indicates that a majority of humanity will reject or fall away from its Savior.
My thanks to the Stand Firm team and readers for your companionship, challenges and encouragement over some of these 25 years. May you dwell in the “secret of the kingdom of God” and He in you. Forever.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- BIshop Bruno Forces Pregnant Women and Children to Worship Outdoors in Summer Heat
- Pay Day Lenders From Atlanta Send Fake “Christian” Ministry to Harass South Dakotans
- Look! A squirrel! (Sermon on John 6:1-21)
- Final Judgment Entered in Fort Worth Case
- Planned Parenthood, Pay Day Lenders, and How I’m Praying These Days
- On Valorizing Gay Marriage: A Response to Wesley Hill
- Another Biblical battlefront - you can give fire support
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.