Shannon Johnston: The Key to “Getting Together” is Repentance!
This is priceless.
From Bishop Shannon Johnston of Virginia’s 2013 Pastoral Address where he speaks about his relationship with Tory Baucum…
I’ll grant you that the tax collector and the Zealot getting together is an extreme example, but the point, of course, is that if even they could do it because they had JESUS “in common” then surely so can we with one another and still to others near and far.
And the key? What is it that would allow moving from human estrangement to a Godly commonality in Jesus Christ? Well, first of all, it’s grace, the gift of God to God’s repentant people. Repentant people.
Let’s be clear - Johnston says the key to reconciliation is repentance.
So here’s the obvious question that the rector and vestry of Truro Anglican need to address - what is the key issue over which they think Johnston should repent in order to be reconciled to them?
And has he done it? What does Johnston actually think he has repented of in order to restore this relationship? As he himself states,
We have compromised nothing of our core theologies
the same core theologies that caused Truro to split from the Diocese of Virginia, no less.
And then one more question (the same one again) - who has actually had to move and concede in this whole “reconciliation”?
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- An Easter Message From Bishop Mark Lawrence
- Texas Supreme Court Denies ECUSA’s Motion for Stay / Recall
- South Carolina Supreme Court Takes Jurisdiction of Appeals
- Watch out What You Ask for: CA Judge Puts Cloud on all ECUSA Parish Property Sales
- ECUSA’s 815 in Transparent Move to Punish Fort Worth
- Courts in SC and TX Show 815 Which Way the Wind Blows
- BREAKING: Texas Supreme Court Denies TEC Motion for Re-Hearing
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.