Anglican Endgame: Queen Takes Bishop
Even if Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby were inclined not to extend the church’s blessings to homosexual unions, one has to think this would put a serious damper on those plans:
In her first public appearance since she had hospital treatment for a stomach bug, the Queen will sign the new Commonwealth Charter and make a speech explaining her passionate commitment to it.
Insiders say her decision to highlight the event is a ‘watershed’ moment – the first time she has clearly signalled her support for gay rights in her 61-year reign.
The charter, dubbed a ‘21st Century Commonwealth Magna Carta’ declares: ‘We are implacably opposed to all forms of discrimination, whether rooted in gender, race, colour, creed, political belief or other grounds.’
The ‘other grounds’ is intended to refer to sexuality – but specific reference to ‘gays and lesbians’ was omitted in deference to Commonwealth countries with draconian anti-gay laws.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Morons on Parade (UPDATED)
- Anglican Future Conference - Interview with Ashley Null
- Anglican Future Conference - Interview with Archbishop Eliud Wabukala of Kenya
- [Oz & NZ] Anglican Future Conference Begins
- Tyranny in Vestments
- PCUSA Repudiation of Christian Marriage Official
- [CofE] A Southwark “Apology” - Why Much More is Needed from Goddard and the Bishop
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.