Anne Kennedy’s Review of Archbishop Welby’s Enthronement
So, yes, Anne is my wife, but that’s not why I’m linking her. She nailed it:
...so essentially, I heard some hymns, saw the African dancing, heard the sermon, and did not by any means miss out on the exceptionally weird voice of the woman inducting Welby into the pulpit/see of Canterbury. Well, it’s a stretch to say I actually heard the sermon (see above), a few lines washed over me.And I must say, after a decade of watching liberal/episco-Unitarian white boomers pander liturgically to the rest of the true believing world—swaying back and forth and clapping ineffectually, or raising the hands to the latest Native American wind—I am frankly grossed out by all the showcased ethnicity. Archbishop Welby in no wise was made to look more believing or relevant by the dancing and singing. Taken together with his “sermon” (I think scare quotes are more than appropriate), the liturgically enshrined ethnicity showed a hollow husk of a church that once brought the truth into the darkness of a world broken by sin and death, but now is just dancing around in the dark, clapping to songs of a light it doesn’t know or understand. So the “sermon”. I expect some were really happy that the new ABC was so bold as to say both “Jesus” and “Christ” in church. I used to be one of those people—pathetically grateful that the sermon wasn’t about cloning or the Buddha. And he even noted that we should be “reconciled” to God through the cross. But here’s the tiny little problem. None of those words mean anything any more. “Reconciled” doesn’t indicate the cross to anyone who hears the word any more. It just means that God won’t mind whatever we do as long as we agree to women bishops and gay marriage…read the rest
No ecstatic starry-eyed wonder for her.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- [CofE] Buckinghamshire Anglo-Catholic Clergy join Evangelicals in Protesting against Bp Alan Wilson
- [CofE] Prominent Oxford Diocese Evangelicals call for the resignation of Bishop Alan Wilson
- Bishop Alan Wilson (Buckingham) no longer has confidence of his own clergy
- BREAKING: England Evangelicals Stand Up and Make a Noise
- Scottish Episcopal Church goes down the gurgler
- Left exploits, then drops “war on women”
- Oz Anglican Future Conference Videos, including Ashley Null on Cranmer
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.