Thatcher Was Right, the Left Was Wrong
Great article over at NRO:
And she seemed to be having so much fun. That, I think, is what they never forgave her for. Thatcher laughed at them, mocked them, outwitted and out-debated them. That infuriated the Left: Conservatives aren’t supposed to mock, they are supposed to be mocked. They might be allowed to win a few elections, but they could never be allowed to win the argument, much less to scoff at liberals’ public pieties.
Thatcher won, in no small part because she was her own best case. Her confidence, prudence, good humor, and other virtues were those she sought to encourage in her fellow countrymen.
In that sense, we should be grateful to the odious likes of Ted Rall and Donna Brazile. As the treacly and insincere tributes from the likes of Barack Obama roll in, we should remember: They hated Margaret Thatcher. Hated her. Reviled her. Hated everything she stood for. Still do. So I do not really want to hear any tributes to her from the left side of the political aisle today. If you were not around at the time, it will be hard for you to appreciate the vulgarity and the cruelty of the attacks to which she was subjected. They hated her for the same reason they hated Reagan: She aimed to defeat socialism abroad and socialism at home, appreciating the structural continuity between domestic socialism and the idea’s full expression under the Soviets.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- At terror confab, Obama SPOX calls out “Christian militants”
- Former NYC Mayor Bloomberg Forces SF Retraction
- President’s Prayer Breakfast remarks all diagnosis, no treatment
- Islam amplifies blasphemy
- Political Startup Ranks the Most Conservative, Liberal 2016 Candidates
- [OPEN THREAD] PB, Episcopal bishops offer support to President’s Immigration Executive Action
- Episcopalians for Death updates
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.