ELCA: It’s All About Teh Gay
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America managed yesterday to declare to all the world that it is no longer a serious church (if anyone had any doubts). It’s not just that it is in thrall to the gay rights movement. It beclowned itself by pulling a Schori:
A North Hollywood theology professor ordained just two years ago after the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America dropped its ban on same-sex ministers was elected Friday as the church’s first openly gay bishop.
The Rev. R. Guy Erwin won a six-year term to the Southwest California Synod, which encompasses the greater Los Angeles area, according to church officials.
The historic vote came Friday during a three-day assembly of the synod held in Woodland Hills.
Erwin’s election marks a welcome turning point for the congregation’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered members, said Emily Eastwood, executive director of Reconciling Works, an arm of the church that worked for decades to lift the ban on gay and lesbian clergy.
“One of our own has been chosen not in spite of being gay, but because he is truly gifted and skilled for the office,” she said in a prepared statement. “Once again, today we are proud to be Lutherans.” [Emphasis added.]
The mind reels.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- A (Formerly Anglo-)Catholic on the Anglican Flaw
- A Fabulous Resource for Same-Sex-Attracted Christians and Their Friends & Allies
- Grafton Appointment Exposes Massive Differences in the Anglican Church in Australia
- Perth Same-Sex Marriage Vote - Provincial Council Says “No”
- Grown Methodist Children Throw Temper Tantrum
- Hawaii Dem Votes Yes on Gay Marriage, Smashes Homeless’ Carts
- Methodist Pastor Found Guilty, Gets Wrist Slapped
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.