ELCA: It’s All About Teh Gay
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America managed yesterday to declare to all the world that it is no longer a serious church (if anyone had any doubts). It’s not just that it is in thrall to the gay rights movement. It beclowned itself by pulling a Schori:
A North Hollywood theology professor ordained just two years ago after the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America dropped its ban on same-sex ministers was elected Friday as the church’s first openly gay bishop.
The Rev. R. Guy Erwin won a six-year term to the Southwest California Synod, which encompasses the greater Los Angeles area, according to church officials.
The historic vote came Friday during a three-day assembly of the synod held in Woodland Hills.
Erwin’s election marks a welcome turning point for the congregation’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered members, said Emily Eastwood, executive director of Reconciling Works, an arm of the church that worked for decades to lift the ban on gay and lesbian clergy.
“One of our own has been chosen not in spite of being gay, but because he is truly gifted and skilled for the office,” she said in a prepared statement. “Once again, today we are proud to be Lutherans.” [Emphasis added.]
The mind reels.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Ephraim Radner on Why I Changed My Mind on Civil Marriage
- Abandoning the Search for the Gay Gene and Embracing Choice
- ACNA Primate: Don’t sign marriage pledge for now
- UK “journalists” distort study to advocate for LGBT church
- Oh Dear—Jim Naughton is peevish again—so give generously to the IRD
- The Marriage Pledge and the Libertarian Solution to the Marriage Debate
- Rusty Reno Makes the Case for Clergy Cutting the Government Out of the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.