SBC Expected to Disaffiliate with Boy Scouts
While those in support of the new-found policy are frustrated that gay leaders are still not permitted to take part, others who oppose the amendment believe that the group is abandoning its Christian heritage. Among the denominations that may cut off support for the Scouts is the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).
Church leaders, according to CNN, are planning to urge the religious order’s 45,000 congregations and 16 million members to officially cut ties with the Boy Scouts. Considering that 4,000 units are currently sponsored by the SBC, this would be a monumental loss for the organization — one that would impact 100,000 young men who participate through this denomination.
This month, the SBC plans to vote on a non-binding resolution at a convention in Houston. The effort will take place on June 11 or 12. And the provision, according to insiders, has a good chance of passing.
“There’s a 100% chance that there will be a resolution about disaffiliation at the convention and a 100% chance that 99% of people will vote for it,” Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptists’ Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, told CNN. “Southern Baptists are going to be leaving the Boy Scouts en masse.”
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- In Support of Single Issue Voting
- Egregiously Stupid Comment Contest Reopened
- Dr. Mohler: The Osteen Predicament—Mere Happiness Cannot Bear the Weight of the Gospel
- Peggy Noonan’s Tribute to Joan Rivers
- California City Mandates Free Marijuana!!
- ECSUA Rump Diocese in Ft. Worth Officially Embraces the Culture
- Gay Marchers Approved for St. Patrick’s Day Parade; Cardinal Dolan as Grand Marshall
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.