Via email, from a reader who, for obvious reasons, wishes to remain anonymous:
I was present at the Montana Diocesan Convention. Bishop Brookhart has not provided a written statement on the HoB meeting. He spoke informally, without notes, for about an hour at the Convention, after business had been completed and folks had eaten their evening meal.
For me it was a depressing evening. No conservatives chose to ask any questions. The meeting had an unpleasant, sneering tone - both from Bishop Brookhart and the clergy and laity who did choose to ask him questions. Among the points worth relating:
1. Bishop Brookhart said that a retired TEC Bishop (Bob Jones of Wyoming) had sworn at Archbishop Mouneer Anis after he spoke, saying, ‘That’s bullshit’.
2. He called four Bishops ‘the usual suspects’ and predicted that their dioceses would be declared vacant and they would be put on trial.
3. He said the alternative oversight proposal was simply a ‘gesture’ and would never be used.
4. He said that ‘public’ (in reference to same-sex blessings) was a ‘code word’.
5. He compared African bishops to ‘mafiosi’.
6. He told folks that the Africans were against the Episcopal Church just because they were Americans and could not distinguish between the actions of President Bush and those of the Episcopal Church.
7. He said the Archbishop of Wales had been asked to speak to the HOB and told them that if TEC was guilty then the Church in Wales was guilty of doing exactly the same.
8. He said several members of the JSC advised them on what ‘words’ they needed to use – which he said was ‘very helpful’.